Saturday, November 10, 2012

In Gratitude or...Ingratitude?

To give thanks! Be thankful! Giving thanks is an acknowledgement of a gift, a favor, service or courtesy. To be thankful is to convey feelings of gratitude.

It is interesting that we have to be trained to say “thank you”. My grandchildren are between the ages of 10 and 3. All of them are being taught to say “thank you” when receiving any sort of gift. Whether it is a birthday present, a trip to the park or a bite of a cookie, big or small, they're expected respond with gratitude.

Thanksgiving opens the doors. It changes a child's personality. A child is resentful, negative—or thankful. Thankful children want to give, they radiate happiness, they draw people.”-Sir John Templeton

We are not born altruistic, quite the opposite, we are born selfish. A newborn baby cries for several reasons, but all of them revolve around a need to please. I don’t like being hungry, feed me. I don’t like having a wet diaper, change me. I don’t like lying down, pick me up. I don’t like being alone, stay near to me, I don’t like being cold, cover me...etc. Once they are warm, satisfied and comfy, they express their gratitude with a coo or smile. This of course, melts our hearts. However, the contentment is brief. Soon the process of “please me” begins again, this is the “pleasure” vs. “pain” cycle. We have to be trained out of the infantile stage of “please me, or else”....I will cry, whine or throw a fit!

The Wahoo vs. the woe...
Are we satisfied with the little things? “Some complain that roses have thorns—others rejoice that thorns have roses!” Are we overwhelmed with the essence of life, or burdened by life? Do we respond with lasting appreciation, or with a selfish attitude? The words come out of the mouth,“thank you”, but there is no real contentment behind them. Are we asking what’s for dinner, while eating lunch? Gorging on momentary delights, unsatisfied, looking for the next mouthful? 
“The unthankful heart... discovers no mercies; but let the thankful heart sweep through the day and, as the magnet finds the iron, so it will find, in every hour, some heavenly blessings!”
- Henry Ward Beecher

May we sweep through our day and discover every blessing... and give sincere thanks. Wahoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment