Monday, July 1, 2019

What Motivates You?


This morning my scripture studies began in the book of 1 Thessalonians.  As I read, I got stuck in verse three,
“Recalling unceasingly before our God and Father your work energized by faith and service motivated by love and unwavering hope...”

I tried to move on to the next verse, knowing this was just a part of the salutation to the church at Thessalonica, but the word “motivated” pierced my conscious.  Immediately, the question hit me straight between the eyes, and then forced me to really stop and think- What motivates you?  As I pondered a string of possible motivators popped up as captions in my head.  (You know like those floating thoughts you see in a comic strip.) 

   
Here it comes.... yes, I did a word study on “Motivate,” if you have read any of my blogs or books, you know this is what I do.   Motivate - a cause or reason to act.  It is a prompting.  When we are motivated, we are influenced by some sort of stimulus.  We are spurred on, incited, or provoked to move and take action.

What causes someone to run into the crashing ocean?  Or for that matter, what inspires the warrior to run into the fray of battle, or for the bystander to join in the fight?  Why do we engage in conversation?  Or search, plunge and dive into study, or even more curious - what causes us to desire love, or to be in a meaningful relationship?  What compels us to flee, turn away and shut our eyes?  Better yet, what stops us in our tracks, to be still or silent?  What provokes us to work, to serve or to share?  What moves us to laugh, to love, to live or to cry, become angry and quit?

These are some soul searching questions, aren’t they?  What motivates us is as unique as who we are?  We are all motivated by something.  My husband enjoys engaging and meaningful conversation, one of his favorite provoking questions is:  “What wakes you up in the morning?”  The answer to his question and to my long list above is personal.  There is a fire inside of each of us ready to be ignited. There is a gifting within each of us, waiting to be stirred up to benefit the world around us.  There is a longing deep to make a difference, to leave a lasting impression.  God placed within each of us a purpose, a rare and individualized call.  I believe we act and move according to this divine call. We are bent toward a destination; we are gifted for a cause.  I encourage you today, to ask yourself – What motives me?  It could be life-changing.

No comments:

Post a Comment