Thursday, December 13, 2012

'Twas the Night before Christmas... a child is born

Soon my doctor arrived; he was calm, cheery and relaxed. He was older gentleman; he had been delivering babies for many years. I will be forever thankful, for my dear sweet country doctor. He invited my children in, had the staff bring in extra chairs. He made them feel comfortable and explained what was happening all through birthing process.

The nurse on staff was still rather miffed, but busied herself preparing the room for delivery. At my side was my husband, my children sat at my feet, Christopher ten, Erica eight and Daphne five they had front row seats. As the time came to push, I glanced quickly down at them. Anxious, yet excited curiosity was etched upon their faces.

Natalie, our Christmas child arrived with only a few intense pushes, crying softly, caroling her song of Christmas. The comment I heard muttered under Christopher’s breath.... “I would have totally been fine without seeing that.” Oh my, my poor little guy. I however, have never regretted that my children were with me on that night.

My nurse transformed, was caught up in the moment, quickly wrapped her and handed her to me. Then she gathered my children so they could see their baby sister. Immediately, the love was spread, each had to look, give a kiss and a gentle touch. As my kids climbed in bed surrounding me, Ray had his turn to behold his lovely baby girl. Talk about a family Christmas moment... One I will forever remember, a treasured memory held dear.

Since, Natalie's birth in 1992, my Christmas' have been merry and bright, a season to look forward too. As with all my children, her birth forever changed my life.

‘Twas the night before Christmas...

With my baby nestled at my breast,
I looked at her intently, quiet peace, serene rest.

Her eyes - how they twinkled! Glistening stars met mine,
Sweet heavenly innocence, oh- how they did shine.

Her blankets encircled her head like a wreath.
She captured my heart, it was beyond belief!

Such a gentle round face, and little- bitty toes,
Delicate designed tiny fingers, and a cute buttoned nose.

She was chubby and plump, my tiny Christmas elf,
And I smiled when I saw her, in spite of myself.

Soon, her doctor arrived, she is healthy and strong
“Yay, let’s be up! Be gone- for here we don’t belong!”

Released, fed, swaddled up tight, no time for delay
Homeward bound 'bout midnight, it was now....
Christmas Day.

Merry Christmas

No comments:

Post a Comment