Saturday, December 8, 2012

'Twas the Night before Christmas... continued

As the hours of the day passed by, so did the contractions, getting stronger, longer in duration and coming more often. This in itself was contrary to the birth of the previous three.

I had never experience the signs of early labor before. My other children came into the world quite differently. In a nutshell, my water would break, contractions would soon follow, trip to the hospital, breathing, transition, pushing and baby! I am very blessed that all of my babies were born naturally, quickly and with ease.

This labor was noticeably different. I continued to clean and prepare for tomorrow’s celebration. Our annual Christmas gathering would be at my house, so I was gearing up to be the”Hostess with the Mostess”! Also, I believe I was being prompted by the process of maternal nesting. Mothers-to-be kind of go crazy during the nesting stage ... everything must be cleaned and in order! We clean, organize, fold and move things around and often repeat the process over and over. After a bit of this insane, but very necessary process, my son, who is my oldest began to get a clue. Christopher asked me, “Mom, when is Dad expected home?” My reply was “I don’t know, as soon as he is done shopping, I guess?” I don’t think he liked my answer. He responded with, “don’t you think you should call him?” I don’t think my 10 year old son, was ready to be “the man of the house” when it came to birthing his baby sister. I caught him intently watching me as I would stop what I was doing, place my hand on my abdomen and breathe deeply, and then return to my previous activity.

So, alas I took his advice and called my husband. Since, this process of delivery was clearly going to be different; he did not get overly excited, nor sense any urgency. In other words, he did not rush! It was only after my second call that he knew he needed to kick it in gear, and get himself home.

My plans for my friend to watch my kids, while I was at the hospital, were obviously not happening.... it was Christmas Eve! Who has there baby on Christmas Eve? Me! So what to do? No choice, my three children would be going to the hospital with us.

‘Twas the night before Christmas....
when all thro' the house,
Everyone was stirring, but no sign of my spouse.

The birthing bag ready, placed by the door with care,
In hopes that dear old Dad, soon would be there.

The children were anxious, no time to be fed,
Lord only knows what images danc’d in their head!

When inside my womb there arose such a clatter,
I sprang to my feet, oh- the pressure on my bladder!

Away to the window I flew like a flash,
Tore open the shutters, and threw up the sash.

When what to my wondering eyes should appear,
But my minivan -finally my husband was here!

With no time to dawdle, we were lively and quick
Off to the hospital lickety-split!

More rapid than eagles our kids they came
We hurried, and shouted, and called them by name

Now Christopher, Now Erica, Now Daphne, Come on!
It’s time to get going; it’s time to be gone!

To be continued...


No comments:

Post a Comment